lanyards for fashionistas

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I am going to attend a conference with my husband for a few days next week ... I love conferences - meeting people from all over the world, reconnecting with old friends and making new ones, cocktail and dinner parties and most importantly, a reason to wear something other than jeans and a tee shirt! My only complaint about the conferences is that we are asked to wear name tags all of the time and they are attached to really "sporty" looking lanyards. I like the idea of wearing name tags but not ones that look like I should be at the gym when I'm wearing a cocktail dress and heels. Well, let's just say that I wore the standard issue lanyard the first time (see my "before" picture above from Spain) but the next conference that I went to I made my own lanyards from some simple black beads (see my "after" picture above from Italy). My lanyards were a hit with all of the ladies and everyone wanted to know where I bought them! 

I have been unable to find the lanyards that I had made over the past few years ... we moved a year ago and I'm still searching for a couple of boxes that have been misplaced or "thrown away" by mistake ... so this week I made a couple more lanyards to take with me next week.  My new lanyards have more of an Anthropologie feeling to them with a mixture of vintage and new materials. I was very inspired by a couple of my new Somerset Studio magazines - Belle Armoire Jewelry and the new Jewelry Affaire. If I have time, I'm going to make a couple of extra lanyards to give to some of my friends at the conference.

By the way ... the groovy patterned "tape" graphics on my first photo grouping is by Katrina @ pugly pixel . I found her "free art" through my e-course with Kelly Rae Roberts . I thought that it worked really well with my Anthropologie inspired layout!

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome. Fashionable and practical. You've just received an award on my blog :) Stop by to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely lanyards, Lorrie! :-) And do I see the Spanish Steps in your "After" photo? We lived in Italy for two years. I'm betting you found those leggings there too! They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first award ... so cool ... I'm flying over to check it out!

    I loved Italy ... it was my first time there. We were in Florence for a week and I think that we have another conference booked for Rome sometime next year. Believe it or not ... I bought my leggings in Canada ... my hubby thought that they were too "young" for me (I'll be 50 next year) but I didn't care. They were fun to wear and I liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is such a great idea, these are GORGEOUS! and btw you are rocking those leggings--cool is ageless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love it Lorrie!! You look fab girl!! R ox

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are a great twist on the corporate promotional lanyards and a lot more attractive and gorgeous for us girls! These are really cool personalized lanyards Lorrie, but conversely would be great for any fashion, design or creative facing businesses.

    ReplyDelete