Michaels Holiday Contest

Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm so excited ... it's back again this year ... Michaels Holiday Crafting Contest! And I just entered the wall hanging (picture above) that I made as a gift for my daughter Robyn. I created a similar mixed media collage on a wooden canvas last weekend ... and it was my inspiration for making this piece. You see, as soon as I was finished making my original collage, my daughter Robyn told me that she loved it and wanted it for her room at the cottage. Making another one for the contest was easy and I now have another gift to check off my list!

 In case you didn't know about the Michaels contest - this is the second week of the contest - I think that it runs for 7 weeks. Every Monday there will be a new "challenge" and a chance to enter the contest. Michaels posts on facebook what three basic items have to be used in your project and you have until Sunday to create and upload your entry onto their facebook page.

They ask you to list your materials and how you made your project ... and I thought that I'd share with you here how I made my entry ... so here you go:


I started by glueing old book pages to the charger. Once it was dry ...
then I used acrylic paints and distressing inks to add some colour and antique the edges.
Then I used my scrapbook papers to create a design for the centre of the charger. I printed the words on my inkjet printer and left a space for the word "butterflies". The scrapbook papers were glued to the charger. I used an assortment of metal and sticker letters to spell out butterflies ... 
... I added a paper measuring tape, some lace and some Martha Stewart glitter to the inside rim of the charger. Next I used my brand new, handy dandy Martha Stewart butterfly paper punch to cut butterfly shapes from two-sided scrapbook papers ...


... I love this paper punch because you can use it anywhere on a piece of paper (not just the edges!). I scored each of the butterflies to make them a little more 3-D. Some butterflies got glitter and a few others got rhinestone bling ... little girls gotta have bling, right?!! I glued the butterflies on the charger ...

... as you can see this charger is not going to be used during Christmas dinner ... so I punched two holes at the top of the charger and added a velvet ribbon to hang.

If you click here it will take you to the Michaels facebook contest ... please click "like" if you want to vote for my project for this week's (November 15-21) challenge under the "winners and gallery" tab. There are weekly prizes for a $100 Michaels gift card (every week!) and a grand prize at the end for a crafting cruise with Jo Pearson! ... wouldn't that be cool to win?

Jo Pearson has a really cool video on how to decorate chargers that you can actually use on your table and you can see it right here!

Good luck everyone and let's get creative!

7 comments:

  1. What a great piece! I love it! Such a great idea using a charger... I love the wall hanging as a round shape. Thank you so much for joining the party this week. Looks like everybody might be busy... we didn't have many participants. You can count on my vote! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Lori! I absolutely love it. I'm doing a craft show tomorrow but once that's done I'm anxious to check out the Michaels thing. You'd think I'd know since it's my home away from home lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your charger turned out great! The contest has me intrigued. The charger is a new idea for me. I like the round "canvas." I might have to try something before Sunday is over. Fun! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweet Lorrie..Truly love this project! Yes, it would be wonderful winning a cruise with Jo Pearson. Now you've got me interested in checking out this Michael's contest..I get lost in that place all the time. It's like I go into some kind of trance. :)) Thanks for sharing this beautiful piece..I can sure see why Robyn wanted it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments! The Michaels contest is great and since most of you, like me, are creative I thought that it would be good to share this opportunity. I really like the format of the contest this year with the "weekly challenges". It is going to keep me going back to check out the contest every week. I'm sure that it is easier for Michaels to judge this year too because everyone is using the same three items as part of their project and now they are just looking at how creative we get!
    Good luck to everyone that enters and if you do ... please let me know so I can vote for your projects too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a NEAT piece!!! So fun and creative! Never heard about the Michaels challenge, but what a great idea. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this piece...no wonder your daughter wanted it. Thanks for sharing the Michael's contest...never heard of it. I'm going to go vote for you!

    ReplyDelete